Places to Visit/Things to Do
If you enjoyed history class, you must visit one of the most historic sites in the United States, Independence Hall. The red-brick structure was where some of America’s founding fathers met for the duration of the War for Independence. It was also at Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence was written and signed. Throughout the site, you can find famous artifacts, such as surviving copies of documents that formed the country we know now today. From January to February, tickets are free but you’ll have to join a guided tour. During the months of March to December, tickets are still free, but you must pay $1.50 for ticket-handling. Independence Hall is open every day, and tours begin at 9 am and they close at 5 pm.
Philadelphia is full of historic sites, and the Liberty Bell Center is amongst the most popular. It’s located opposite Independence Hall, another popular attraction (read above). The Liberty Bell once used to grace the belfry of Independence Hall, but now sits in a massive glass pavilion. Back in the day, it was used to notify others of important events, the most important being the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence. Eventually, it became cracked and was stopped being used. If you’re an American, you have to visit the Liberty Bell Center as well as Independence Hall. These two places are some of the best ways to learn more about the country’s history. Admission to the attraction is completely free. It is open all year, from 9 am to 5 pm.
Are you an art fanatic? Even if you’re not, you’re still going to appreciate the Philadelphia Museum of Art, one of the top of its kind in the country. Throughout the building, you can find paintings and works of art from a massive collection of famous artists, including Picasso, Van Gogh, and many more. You can also learn more about foreign cultures, as the museum features structures from different countries. Some inside include an Indian temple from the 1500s, the 1600s Chinese Palace Hall, and more. The museum boasts a variety of things to see, so you might want to allocate a few hours or better yet a whole day to explore the facility. The museum is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 in the morning to 5 in the evening, with extended hours until 8:45 pm on Wednesday and Friday. Entrance fees cost $20 for adults and $14 for teenagers. If you visit on the first Sunday of the month or a Wednesday, you can pay as much or as little as you choose.
Do you enjoy spending time around animals? If you do, do so at the first and oldest zoo in the country, the Philadelphia Zoo. The 42-acre zoo houses around 1,300 animals, so there is plenty to do for all ages. Visit the zoos different sections, including the Primate Reserve, KeyBank Big Cat Falls, African Plains, and more. This past year, more sections have opened, which contain otters, penguins, red pandas, and more. If you get pecking, there are several eateries and concessions on-site, but they also allow visitors to bring their own food. The museum operates from 9:30 am to 5 pm from March through October. They are open from 9:30 am to 4 pm November to February. Admission for adults costs $24.95 and $19.95 for kids aged 2 to 11.
The Franklin Institute Science Museum is another popular attraction in Philly. Interactive exhibits help visitors of all ages learn from a variety of subjects from anatomy to astronomy. If you’re more of a sporty person, visit the SportsZone. Here, you can learn about the science behind sports like surfing, rock climbing, and more. You can also learn past earths borders at the Fels Planetarium. The museum also features a IMAX theater, so you can enjoy a movie. As many know, Benjamin Franklin was a famous person out of Philly, so don’t forget to visit the Benjamin Franklin National Memorial, which houses a 30-ton statue of Ben Franklin. The Franklin Institute Science Museum is open daily from 9:30 am to 5 pm. Adults will have to pay $23 for $19 for kids aged 3 to 11.
Best Way to Tour Philadelphia, PA
- The best way to tour the city of Philadelphia (as well as many other cities) is by chartered buses and vans. Explore at your own pace within the safety of your private vehicle. Don’t worry about ordering an Uber or Lyft when you have your own exploration vehicle. Through Prompt Charters, you can order the buses you need. Prompt Charters is an amazing, affordable chartered vehicle company that caters to your every need. Whether you need a bus for school trips, marriages, parties, campaigns, or whatever else, Prompt Charters can help you. Prompt Charters offers buses, mini buses, school buses, party buses, and more. Most activities and destinations listed above and below are accessible by chartered buses. Visit promptcharters.com to book your rental bus today!
Best Places to Eat/Shop
- Philadelphia Mills – If you’re looking for a great place to shop, visit the Philadelphia Mills. Featuring over 200 stores and services, they are definitely one of the top shopping destinations in Philly. They also feature plenty of dining options throughout the mall.
- The Shops at Liberty Place – Another popular shopping destination in Philly is The Shops at Liberty Place. The retail complex features a mix of shops, services, and even a food court. The convenient location in the business district makes it a popular place to shop at.
- Reading Terminal Market –The Reading Terminal Market is more of a farmer’s market than a mall, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t popular. The place is swarming in retailers and restaurants. If you’re a foodie, this is the perfect place for you.
- Zahav – If you’re looking for a great place to eat, visit Zahav. Zahav is a Mediterranean/Middle East restaurant that offers prime cultural food. They are rated the #1 fine dining restaurant in Philly by tripadvisor for 2018.
- Ristorante Pesto – Do you prefer more of a local option? Visit Ristorante Pesto, one of the best restaurants in the city. The Italian restaurant is the Travelers’ Choice 2018 Winner with nearly 5 stars from over 2,000 reviews. For this reason, they are rated the #1 local cuisine restaurant in Philadelphia by tripadvisor for 2018.
Have fun in Philly!