Things to Do/Places to Visit
- Capitol Park
Capitol Park has been California’s center of government since 1869. Now, the Capitol building houses a museum that is filled with state artifacts. When you visit the museum, you can tour the rooms, historic offices, as well as admire the beautiful artwork located throughout the building. Other than the museum, you can also tour the park, which holds a World Peace Rose Garden, a collection of plantings from around the world. Entrance to the Capitol, museum, and park are free.
- Crocker Art Museum
The Crocker Art Museum is one of California most famous art museums, holding more than 15,000 art pieces. The museum contains many Californian pieces, as well as many African, Oceanic, and Asian pieces. Originally established as a home and art gallery for the Crocker family in 1865, it has now become one of Sacramento’s most famous tourist spots. For adult entry, it costs $10. For students and seniors, its $8. For those aged 7 to 17, its only $5.
- California State Railroad Museum
Learn about locomotives in this interactive railroad museum. Visit each restored train with their histories and unique interiors. If you’re looking for something educational, this museum is the place to go. Here, you can learn about the expansion of the railroads, their importance in economy, and their impact on traveling. For a entertaining outing, hop on the Sacramento Southern Railroad train, which is operated by the museum. Admission to the museum is $10 for adults; for kids aged 6 to 17, it is $5. Children under 6 are free.
- Sacramento Zoo
The Sacramento Zoo is another popular destination in Sacramento. While it is small (14.2 acres), there is still a great time to be had observing the 140 different species of animals. Like most zoos, you have the traditional zoo animals like lions, tigers, zebras, giraffes, as well as many birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Other than the zoo itself, there is also an affordable gift shop, where you can buy little trinkets for your children. Admission for adults is $11.75. For children aged 2 to 11, it costs $7.75. More information on the zoo is available on their website.
- Sacramento and American Rivers
Are you more of an outdoor enthusiast? Then take to the waters on either the Sacramento or American River. Or why not both? If it’s a warm day, bring out the canoe you’ve been waiting to use. You can also water ski and kayak. Don’t like watersports? That gives you the reason to get out your fishing gear and go fishing. Relax on the waters as you wait for fish to bite your bait. Also, at most parts of the river, you can hop into the water. Don’t forget to drag your family and friends in too!
- Fairytale Town
If you have small children with you on your trip to Sacramento, you need to take them to Fairytale Town. Let your kids enjoy with their favorite cartoon characters like Peter Rabbit, Eeyore the donkey, and Mary’s little lambs. While not the most entertaining for older kids and adults, kids under the age of 7 will have a blast at this amusement park. Let their imagination run wild as they play on more than 25 huge playsets. Tickets for adults and young ones cost $4.50 on weekdays and $5.50 on the weekends
- Sutter’s Fort
There’s probably not a more historical place than this in all of Sacramento. In the 1840’s, a Swiss immigrant by the name of John Sutter built a fortress for himself and his crops on a massive 150,000 acres of his own land. It was 50 miles from here that one of Sutter’s associates, James Marshall, found the first recorded golden nugget. This would soon start the California Gold Rush. After Sutter’s workforce left, the fort fell into bad shape. Now restored, the fort is operated by the California State Park Service. Admission for adults is $5 and $3 for those under 17.
Best Places to Shop & Eat
- Old Sacramento – Old Sacramento is one of the best historic shopping sites in Sacramento. Head to a museum located in Old Sacramento, but not without a bite of food at the many eateries.
- Midtown – Another popular destination, Midtown, is filled with over 600 businesses. These include everything from bars to retail shops. Spend your day or night here, enjoying the galleries and live music.
- Arden Fair Mall– This is the largest shopping mall in Sacramento, with two stories featuring 165 stores. Popular brands here include Apple, Coach, and Nordstrom. Also grab a tasty bite to eat at their food court.
- Pavilions – This is the premiere shopping destination with brands like Ralph Laurent, Chico’s, and Hamilton Jewelers. Also, don’t miss a meal at its signature restaurants, which provide a fine dining experience.
- Westfield Downtown Plaza – This plaza is an open-air shopping plaza that is anchored by Macy’s. Also, grab a bite to eat before you catch a movie at the Century movie theatres located next to the food court.
- Westfield Roseville Galleria – This is similar to Rodeo Drive, just bigger. Shop luxury brands like Tiffany & Co., Louis Vuitton, and Abercrombie & Fitch. This is a shopping experience that will definitely impress you.
- The Kitchen Restaurant – If you’re looking for a fine dining restaurant to take a special one to, The Kitchen is the place to go. This is rated the #1 fine dining restaurant in Sacramento by tripadvisor.
- The Waterboy– Another amazing fine dining restaurant in Sacramento, it is also highly rated in fine dining and local cuisine in Sacramento by tripadvisor. Don’t miss out on the chance to eat here!
Best Way to Tour Sacramento
- The best way to tour Sacramento is with chartered buses and vehicles. Rent a bus or mini bus and explore Sacramento at your own pace. Don’t worry about hailing a taxi or ordering an Uber or Lyft. No need for that when you have your own exploration vehicle. Need a bus for your party or taking a school trip to the Californian capital? Book a bus rental at Promptcharters.com , an amazing chartered vehicle company. Prompt Charters offers you the vehicle you want with affordable prices. Whether it’s a charter bus, mini bus, school bus, Prompt Charters has it all. What other events do you need a bus for? Let us know! Prompt Charters is not only available in Sacramento, but in many other cities.